Miss a recent post

Miss a Recent Post?

You're "Sew" Sweet Valentine!

I wanted to make a little something special for all the hospice employees hubby and I have the privilege of working with.  This is such a special group of people- so loving and dedicated  to the many patients they serve. 
   Hospice work can be very stressful as you are helping those in their last days of life.  We love these ladies and admire each of the 20+ nurses, CNA, social workers and other staff that we have the privilege of knowing.

When I was organizing my Creative Space last year I came across this big bag of mending kits from a hotel that I picked up for $2 at the thrift store several years previous.
The paper I had was just regular weight paper (I don't have a huge selection of papers yet as I am a newbie with the Silhouette) so decided I would just cover the Mending Kit boxes with paper .  You could make new pillow boxes using heavy weight paper and your silhouette-
I opened a box and used it as a template to trace on the paper.  Cut each one out and then used glue sticks to glue to the original pillow boxes.  If you use glue stick you might want to put glue on both the box and the paper edges to make it secure.

 I used this Silhouette spool card to make the spool and this needle template.
If you don't have a silhouette you could easily make a spool pattern and cut them out.  I used the print and cut feature to print the "You're Sew Sweet" sentiment on the card stock before cutting them out

I forgot to make a little cut for the needle to go through the thread portion when cutting out so took an exacto knife and just made a little slit.  A button and bakers twine as thread for the needle and they are all done!
Inside is a little mending kit to keep in your purse our car for those unexpected emergencies!

I plan on making some more of these to use as little thank you gifts to slip in our thank you cards for our donors also.  Just change out the Valentines paper and these could be great little gifts for anyone.
 

This little box usually has my dessert recipes inside but thought it was the perfect little container to put my valentine sewing kits in.
  I almost feel like I am back in grade school getting to hand out pretty valentines to all my friends!

This was the first project with my Silhouette (actually I did a monogram frame for a wedding gift but forgot to take pictures!)  There is definitely a lot of learning and challenges with learning how to use this machine but I think once I get the hang of it I am going to have lots of fun!

There are a few guys that I need to make something for and have something in my head- if it works I will try and share it with you!

 

19 comments:

On Crooked Creek said...

Mary,
What thoughtful gifts ...love the idea of passing these out at Valentine's Day!
Hospise caregivers are truly giving and dedicated people!!!
Thank you for sharing with us!
Fondly,
Pat

joanne said...

what a cute and thoughtful idea. My son is a Hospice nurse and has suffered with the burn out that so many caregivers do. It is a very tough but rewarding job. He makes me so proud! Your little gift is so very thoughtful and I am sure they will be happy to have them and to hear a "thank you" now and then!

Salmagundi said...

Great little project. I'm anxious to see your silhouette machine sometime in person to discover everything it can do!!! Do I need one??? Cold and snowy here today - soup in the crockpot for supper; maybe that will warm me up. Take care. Sally

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

What a sweet idea,,,they are so cute!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

These are adorable Mary and so thoughtful of you!

Custom Comforts said...

Mary,
What a sweet and thoughtful gift of your time and generosity you are sharing. You are such a giving person, always thinking of others. I love your post and what you've done and creative you are to find affordable ways to always be giving to others. God richly bless you for your kindness.
Cindy

Holly said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity! hugs to you!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

So glad you got your silhouette working! What great gifts! Yes, those people at hospice are angels! so glad you are coming to the dress form ball.

Carol

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Mary I'm betting that your thoughtfulness and sweet gift will mean more than you can imagine. (())

xinex said...

These are so adorable, Mary. You are very creative and very thoughtful...Christine

Leann said...

Mary these are just darling - how sweet and thoughtful of you. We have a friend in hospice right now and you're right about them being special people.

June said...

What a wonderful project and gift Mary! So cute!
I sure hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day with your sweetheart. Aren't we so lucky to have such men in our lives?
much love...

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Dear Mary AKA Nart :)

You are SO clever and creative. I love your spirit!

Laurie Ritchey said...

What a brilliant idea, Mary! These turned out so cute, and what a useful gift to give. laurie

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Mary,
Oh these turned out so darling. What a grand idea and great gift.
Blessings to you.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Jenny said...

What a wonderfully cute and thoughtful gift!

I love how you upcycled your thrift store find!

AND...

Added joy to the day of some mighty worthy people.

Cottage and Broome said...

What a great little project and a wonderful giveaway for a very deserving group of ladies. So thoughtful of you, I'm sure they loved them. Thanks so much for stopping by, Laura

Terra said...

Those kits are so sweet and will encourage the hospice workers, and lift their spirits. I came over here to say hi to you when I heard about your get together with another blogger.

Melanie said...

That is such a beautiful sentiment and way to use a humble mending kit. Beautiful !

Some More Meandering you maybe interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...