Miss a recent post

Miss a Recent Post?

Learning How To make Clay Ornaments and Alot More!





As I spent time making this year's ornaments Jesus spent the time teaching and reminding of so many things.  The recipe for the clay is 3 ingredients - corn starch, soda, and water.  As I stirred and stirred this conglomeration on the stove top I thought it would never turn in to the "smooth mashed potato consistency" the recipe said it would.  The first try at the recipe I was too impatient (as usual).  Dough stuck to rolling pin and board then when I tried to lift them from the board they became misshapen - edges were rough and ornaments cracked while drying in oven.   I wasn't crazy with the results though they were ok-

 Next time I took my time.  Oh my! What a difference.  Those ingredients really did look like smooth mashed potatoes.  I kneaded the cooled dough for several minutes till it became more pliable which made rolling it out a breeze.  After cutting each heart shape a stamp was then used to impress an image on the heart.   A small straw was used to pierce a hole in the top of each heart.  I lifted it from board and very carefully took my finger to smooth out the edges before placing on dehydrator trays to air dry. I then placed the dehydrator close to the fireplace so they would dry.


     Bet you didn't think you would be reading a recipe did you!?  I really am going somewhere here!  As I worked with the second batch of ornaments I thought of how so many times in my life I get impatient with God's timing and though things turn out ok He desired so much more then just ok- He had a really good plan.

      I thought of how God can take this crazy mixture of humanness  and make something out of it. I thought too of how we are kneaded and molded by Jesus, His whole desire to make us more pliable and useful for His glory.  I marveled how He makes us a new creation, giving us a new heart, stamping us with His name and seal because He chose to be pierced for our iniquities so we could enjoy awesome relationship with Him!


      How the Spirit lovingly smoothes out those rough edges, sometimes using the iron sharpens iron person or circumstance to do so.  I Hope in the promise that just as the hearts, when we go through the fire of trials His promise is that we will be refined - looking more like Jesus.

    A red and white striped string was used so that the heart could be useful as ornament or present tag.  By His stripes we are healed, The blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin,  He makes us white as snow...... My, the simple but divinely awesome truths - the heavenly blessing we have all received because of Jesus, Emmanuel, God with Us, came, born of a woman born under law to redeem those under the law that we might receive the rights of sons (and daughters)  His recipe for our life is good!


     What a reason to celebrate!  And I do hope you are celebrating and not just getting through this Christmas Season as I have heard so many lament this year.  As the Message Translation so wonderfully states, let me encourage you to "Tune me in to foot-tapping songs, set these once-broken bones to dancing" Ps 51:7-8  Don't just sit and watch dancing with the stars- Get up and Dance! Dance with Jesus this Christmas!

     Oh speaking of dancing, we are dancing in praise to our Father for each of you who have been so faithful by your prayers and support and love for us and the ministry He has here in SE Colorado.

PS. You never know what you will learn while making ornaments!


This may be the last post for me before we celebrate our Savior's Birth so I want to take the time now to wish you all a very Christ-Filled Day- It is His birthday after all!




Strut your Stuff Saturday Link Party , Sunday Showcase Party,    Not Bad Sundays
 Nifty Thrifty Sundays  The Girl Creative's Just Something I whipped Up, Sundae Scoop @ I heart Nap time!, Simply Klassic Sunday Think Pink Sundays @ Flamingo Toes,Sunday's Best Patty at My 1929 Charmer , Cowgirl Up Monday at Cedar Hill Ranch, DIY Show Off,
 Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday, Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday, Mop it Up Monday The House in the Roses Show off Your Cottage Monday , A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday, One Project at a time at BFOL,  Show Me What ya Got, Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Anti-procrastination Tuesday , Knick of Time Tuesdays, Cow Girl Up at Cedar Hill Ranch , Tuesdays Treasures at My Uncommon Life of Suburbia , Swing Into Spring,, Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays, What's It Wednesdays , Whatever Goes Wednesdays, Whatever You Want Wednesdays, Hookin up with HOH Thursdays, My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday , Tutorial Tips and Tidbits,  ,French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday, 2805 for Potpourri Friday , The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday, Air Your Laundry Friday Debra at Common Ground , Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday  Weekend Wrapup Party,,Frugal Friday, Pink SaturdaySaturday Nite Special,at Funky Junk, Lovely Crafty WeekendNutmeg Place, My Repurposed Life

 


17 comments:

Leann said...

Good Morning Mary

Amen! You are so right. I just came from a meeting were people were actually wishing for everything to "be over."

Merry Christmas!
Leann

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Great post Mary, I can't believe you made 70 of those, so pretty and a great message. Merry Christmas to you my friend!

PS: the snap together ornaments are in the kids crafting section at the craft stores

Carol

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

Mary,
The ornaments turned out beautifully. Your illustration was just as beautiful, and wise, too.
Wishing you and yours a blessed, joyous, and merry Christmas!

Holly said...

OH, I do love this! Isn't it neat when God speaks to us? He seems to speak to me a lot when I am busy using my hands creating. I seem to learn a lot from Him during those times - there is something about putting our hands to work doing something we enjoy and hearing His voice. Christmas blessings to you!
PS Will you share your recipe?

Rebecca said...

Merry Christmas my sweet friend. Thanks for spreading all your loveliness around our blogging world.

Blessings and love for a Happy New Year, too!

Love, Rebecca

Denise Marie said...

What a fun, thrifty project. Always lessons to be taught, huh. MERRY christmas.

Diann said...

This is such a fun and thrifty idea Mary! Thank you for sharing this with us at TTF. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Chenille Cottage said...

Merry Christmas, my sweet friend!
What a pretty collection of ornaments you have designed! I love the white embossed hearts. They would be nice for Valentine's Day, too. Isn't Baker's twine the best? It looks like peppermint candy canes to me...How I love the cheerful red and white.
Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comment.
Warm wishes and God's blessings on this His birthday!
Carolynn xxx

Shelia said...

Hi Mary Ellen! OH, these are so beautiful! I've never made these before but how pretty they are and would look so pretty on a tree! Thanks for popping in to see me and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Rowann Wilkerson said...

What BEAUTIFUL Hearts ! I need to try these for Valentines Day....Wishing you a JOY FILLED Christmas...

Creative Breathing said...

Hi Mary, This is such a heart warming post! I always tell myself when I am impatient that I must look in the moment what God is trying to teach me. Your hearts are absolutely beautiful in their simplicity (after the learning curve!). Uplifted and joyous, how I always feel when I visit here! Wishing you a blessed Christmas! Elizabeth

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Mary, Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet message. Merry Christmas to you. And I will visit after the holidays. Hugs, Karie

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Lovely hearts and a lovely heart.

How blessed I am to know you.

We shall be celebrating through January 6th.

May the peace, joy and love of the season be yours all year long!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh Mary Ellen, I so hope that you have the very best and most Blessed Chirstmas ever. Can't wait to see you, maybe we can get all the gang together when you can be here. Love ya tons. Hugs, Marty

Barbara Jean said...

wonderful, wonderful post dear Mary.

I love how the Lord uses every day things to teach us His ways...

Thanks for the reminder about so many things.
How we are a work in progress..
and it is the hard times, the rough times, that we grow. (I made reference on my FB page about this today.)

Love you sweet lady....good to be in touch....thank you for the email too. It got me back over here.

blessings
barb

Sherry said...

Beautiful! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
Sherry

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow, you stuck with it and look what you came up with. These would be great for Valentine's Day too. Happy 2013 to you.

Some More Meandering you maybe interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...