Miss a recent post

Miss a Recent Post?

Operation Facelift



Many of you have asked how the process is going on the house facelift.  Far from being done but I thought it might be fun to share the process so far.  I hope you won't get bored with all the pictures but they show just how much needed to be done.

This is the house before. I would tell people when giving them directions to our home to just look for the 2 story peeling pink paint house on the corner. The picture actually doesn't show just how bad it was! This was taken right after we moved into the house 4 years ago
The next below picture shows lots more peeling took place in that 4years!
(yes, this is what it looked like before pressure washing!)
First thing awnings and that terrible entry rod iron came down. 
All the junipers were cut down and the damage boards on porch gable fixed.

Next came pressure washing and lots of stucco repair. Soffit and fascia all around house was painted a creamy white.

New metal roof was next on the list.

This is the side of the house - you can see the many roof angles from this picture- it wasn't the easiest roof to do for sure!
The abor is another beautiful creation Jonathan made for me several Mother's Days ago!
I can't believe I had left the Christmas swag up that long!(this was end of Feb I think!)
This is pretty much what the yard looked like while they were working on the roof!

Next came painting which is still not finished. Jonathan wanted to get started on the front entry he designed so we spray painted the main part of the front.
This is Thomas rigging up a makeshift pulley for hoisting some massive beams.
 Forms were created and concrete poured for pillars which will hold the beams.
The pink area under the windows hasn't been painted because  a rock facade will be going there and surrounding the concrete pillars.
 

Jonathan and Thomas hand planked and sanded the lumber to give it a rough and wonderful textured look.
Each cut made in the large beams was hand chiseled to fit.
Here is a close up of the look of the wood. I think Jonathan called these pieces the collars (edited to add- they are called collar ties)- they went across the width of the entry.


It was amazing watching Jonathan - This picture is  from the 2nd story window (sorry it's so fuzzy- the windows are a mess from  pressure washing)-  He was like a trapeze artist walking and working on those beams!
This is what the house looks like at present. I love the front entry (what would you call this- it is much more then a front porch.)
Jonathan has little awning type features planned for over the windows- the rock of course need done and all the detail painting. Would love a new door surround too- that might be a while in the process as I haven't found one cheap cheap!

I need to choose lights for the posts and a chandelier type light for under neath the entry.  You can see the yellow electrical wires in the picture. 
I would love some suggestions on some pretty yet reasonable lighting options.
Also needed is a landscaping plan which I am totally clueless about. This is a north facing side with after noon sun coming around the right side of house.
Any wanna be landscapers out there that would like give me some suggestions?????

The detached garage and sun porch also got a facelift-Shingles were stained, trim painted and creamy white and new metal roof.  Looking for new fixture for this also.




We are so blessed to have a soon who is so talented and who is taking time to come up and do all this amazing work!
Well there you have it - Operation Facelift is still in process but I think a big change can already be seen and am looking forward to when I can give the big reveal!


 Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday, Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday, Mop it Up Monday The House in the Roses Show off Your Cottage Monday , A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday, Show Me What ya Got, Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Knick of Time Tuesdays, Cow Girl Up at Cedar Hill Ranch , Swing Into Spring,, Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays, What's It Wednesdays , Outdoor WednesdaysFrench Cupboard for French Inspiration on Thursdays, The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays, Kathy at A Delightsome Life Home and Garden Thursdays, No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays What are Boys Made of, My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday, Show us Friday Party5 Days 5 WaysSaturday Nite Special, Weekend Blogging Reading Party at Serenity Now It's Overflowing Sundays,  

30 comments:

Pondside said...

Wow - what a lot of work - and it's looking great. The entry way almost seems more like a porte-cochère.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

It makes me tired just looking at the pictures! It is looking good!

Custom Comforts said...

Wow Mary!!! What an undertaking and transformation. I would be overwhelmed with that amount of work. Makes my house look like it needs nothing, but then it's only me doing it. I could never take on a house with that much work that I could not do myself or afford to pay out labor. You are so blessed to have such handy men. I love the roof and the new front covering. Can hardly wait to see it all done. I bet you feel the same way. Construction can wear on your nerves over time, but is always worth it in the end.
Cindy

sissie said...

Hi Mary,
All the hard work is paying off. Your home is looking wonderful.

hugs
Sissie

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I am sure you are thrilled with the changes! How fun and exciting.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Wow! What wonderful changes so far! I can't wait to see it ALL finished!
Blessings, Lorraine

Mom Of Many said...

It's lookin' mighty lovely! Although I confess, I thought when the house was being scraped and everything was showing through, I actually thought that looked really beautiful too!

Salmagundi said...

WOW, what a difference!! How will we ever find your house now without the peeling pink paint??? Of course, that porch will be a great landmark. Sally

Judy Bigg said...

Gosh, what a change you are making and such a big undertaking but it is coming along nicely. Be sure to share more.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Mary...

I just read your sweet note and came right over, my friend! Ohhhh my goodness...your entire home is getting a makeover! I LOVE IT!!! Love your new metal roof...it looks great! Wow...I just love all the different roof lines! The stucco looks awesome too! Love, love, LOVE your new porch! Ohhh my goodness, your son is really putting alot of work into this...hand hewn beams...FABULOUS! I love the design style! You know, I think this structure is what you call a portico! A portico is an entrance way that is covered by a roof and supported with columns. Just what ya'll are doing here. Of course, I am not an architect...so you may want to check further into it. Anyway...I really do love everything that ya'll have done so far! This really is major construction! You must be sooo excited! Thank you for sharing all the photos. I love watching the entire process...it has always been interesting to me.

Do you have any idea of when your camp will be yet? I really do hope that we can work out meeting this year, dear friend! Let me know! So glad that you came by and took a peek at my veranda. I'm anxious to get outside and get things cleaned up. Just hoping that we don't get any more snow...and you never know about Colorado! Hehe!

Have a wonderfully sweet week, dear friend!

Love ya,
Chari

Ana said...

Oh Mary,
I already love your house's facelift a lot...I can only imagine how awesome it is all going to look when it is done. It will definitely be worth the wait. Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Wishing you a wonderful new week.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Revi said...

What a big job! It's looking great! What a difference for not really changing the footprint of the original structure except for that great entry!
Revi

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You are lucky to have a son with talent and vision. I was wondering how noisy the metal roof was? The only advise I would have for outside lights is a change I just made. I had outside lights that I had to unscrew glass to open up to get to the bulb now I have ones that I just reach up and change the bulb....So easy!

Carol

Stacy said...

Oh my word! What a transformation!!!! I LOVED reading that. So fun to see the progress in pictures :)

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

WOW!!

Really lookin good! How exciting!

June said...

This is going to be amazing Mary!!! I am so excited for you and the progress that has been made. Yes, you are so blessed to have your son's help on this make-over.
sending hugs...

Fifi Flowers said...

AMAZING! Can't wait to see the end result!

stefanie said...

wow!!! what a huge project, but soooo worth it!!! it is looking beautiful!

Cottagecheap said...

Color me impressed! Love the changes!

Adrienne said...

Oh, now I REALLY can't wait to get there next month and see your 'new' house! I'm loving it all and I'm so excited that I can walk around your yard with you and hear your plans and hopes and dreams - and then I can watch it all happen in the future!

Love the new 'porch'! When will your boys arrive at my house?
~Adrienne~

Shelia said...

Wow, Mary Ellen, what a transformation! I love your home and I love the front porch! Your son is so talented. I know you're as pleased as punch! :) Can't wait to continue on the voyage with you.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Erin~Just*Grand said...

This is going to be wonderful! Great old house, lucky to have you! New follower, visiting from Wow us Wednesdays. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Wow, and double wow!! That is amazing and isn't it fabulous what adding a new (well I'm not sure what to call that) roof for your entrance can do to your house. It's fabulous, I love it and featured it on my FB page. Grab a featured button if you like.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh Mary!!! This looks amazing!!! I know you are SO excited and pleased!!! I love it!! And that gorgeous arbor!! Can't wait to see the finished project!!

Beautiful! !

Lou Cinda

Patty (Patty's Pretty Things) said...

This was fun to read and I enjoyed the pictures. I love to see home makeovers! I love the front arbor.

Bernadine said...

WOW! Incredible work. Looks great. I love your detached garage.

Marpet said...

Thank you for you're nice message on my blog!

You do have to do a very big job here!
Great!
marjolein

Moonstonemama said...

Wow!! What a difference!

Cindy said...

What beautiful changes you have made, I know it is so time consuming, but what a blessing to have a son who is willing to do it.
Your portico is gorgeous, I love the rough wood that he's using.
I would suggest lantern style lighting, a hanging lantern hanging from the beams inside would be very beautiful, or a heavy duty wrought-iron one with candle-like lights.
I have a North facing front yard and the only plants that really work there are bleeding hearts and Hostas. Perhaps someone else has some other ideas, but these spread out and do bloom for a while.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a wonderful comment.
Hugs, Cindy

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

XO, Aimee

Some More Meandering you maybe interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...