Miss a recent post

Miss a Recent Post?

Come on Baby Light My Fire -Firestarters Tutorial

 Oh my it is getting to be that time of year.
Unique Handmade Christmas Gift Ideas are always a welcomed addition to my 
Gift giving list.
For those friends and family with fireplaces or wood burning stoves I have the perfect 
and, oh so inexpensive gift to make!  
It's also made using natural and recycled products so all those "Green" 
people on your list will love it!

Fire starter Eggs are the Perfect Gift.
Just open up the carton, tear off an egg basket that contains wax and natural fillers.
Light the carton part of the piece and place egg cup in the midst of your starter material
that is ready in fireplace or wood burning stove.

Package so nicely these would make great hostess gifts for all those Holiday parties.

First gather all your materials.
You will need-
Paper egg cartons-
Twigs, pinecone or evergreen shavings-Hubby had trimmed our lollypop  cedar trees in front and this made perfect material for my egg firestarters
Old candles to melt down
an old pot or double boiler
Paper and trimmings for outside  decorating of cartons
egg carton template

Crumble up your evergreens, pine cones or other natural twigs you are using
(how bout sprinkling in some dried juniper berries- that would smell wonderful!)

In double boiler or large pot very carefully melt old candles. Take off any stickers, metal wick stops, etc. You can break them up for faster melting but I had a big pot and wanted to save the wick material.  Since I had a large pot I just let them take their time melting.  I have an electric stove and placed the setting on warm. Never leave the kitchen area while melting any kind of wax as it is flammable.

Place a small amount of natural material in each egg cup.
When wax is melted pour wax in each cup covering material. 
After several tries I found that if you will pour a small amount in each cup then go back and pour a little more in the wax will not go though to the outside part of the carton.  It doesn't matter if it does they just look prettier.
I used this darling little enamel spout pot to pour my wax.  
A glass measuring cup or straight from the pan if it is small will work also.
  
Let the egg cartons sit and cool till all wax has hardened.

I am making the next step very easy for you though it wasn't so easy for me!  Make a template of outside of carton and then using background graphics design as you would like.  
I am including my template and design here for you to use if you would like-
copy and cut out template


Using a glue stick spread glue on outside of carton and back of cover paper


Using scraps of trims-decorate  make a bow around one side of the carton. I made ribbon from burlap and used the strings also for twine around each carton. 
Aren't these tiny vintage pine cone sprays darling!  Snipped a few of these to wrap around each bow. 

And there you have it! Firestarter eggs packaged as pretty as can be for
you  gift giving!! 
Now how many names can you cross off this list with this gift?



Happy fire making !


Pin It

Thank you Stephanie for featuring my Firestarters this week at your blog!
UndertheTableandDreaming



May link to some of these parties


BCD 85Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden    http://www.thethriftyhome.com
Thursday
Katie's Nesting Spotgiveaways Get your craft on Thurs. Black Kats Design

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/ Birthday Wedding cakes crafts partiesAll Thingz Related



Pin It

33 comments:

Miriam said...

Great blog! I found you on welcome wednesday. Hope to see you around at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What a clever and wonderful idea Mary!
I am going to print this off and save it to try. Your tutorial was just so good!
Thanks again,
Cindy

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Mary I did these for many years only using dryer lint and wax for my pellet stove...great gift idea girl..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Shanee said...

I'm your newest follower from the Wednesday Blog Hops! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!

Ruth said...

Those are really cool. Thanks for the tutorial!

I'm just popping in from the Wednesday hop and now following your lovely blog. Stop by when you get a chance!

living well, spending less

Ron Cooper said...

Hi Mary,

Happy Wednesday to you and your family! Hope you are enjoying the beautiful autumn weather!

Already following you now from Welcome Wednesday.. visit me any time!

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

Innkeeper Seely said...

Great! We are getting wood today for the guest fireplace. I never have kindling and newspapers are so messy.

Jessi said...

Hi, I'm stopping by from Welcome Wednesday.

What a neat idea! That's very crafty. I think I'll have to give it a try.

Jessi
http://thejuicilife.blogspot.com

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Cute, brillant, great idea...I love it! This is just the cutest thing....I wouldn't want to use them!!! cuz it would look too cute sitting there!!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

That's just a GRAND idea.... sadly, no fireplace here, in the cottage. Darn it all.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Mama Peck said...

very cute idea! Thank you for the tutorial and printable. I do have one suggestion dating from the old days when we would seal our jam jars with melted paraffin (they don't recommend you do that now). Anyway, we used a big can with one side bent to form a pourable spout to melt our wax over simmering water (like a double boiler). It was so much easier than having to clean wax out of a good pan.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I got it!!! That is absolutely adorable .....and guess what it is useful!!! Your a genius!

Carol

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I forgot to mention, what a wonderful job you are doing on your food bank, helping soooo many people, that has to make you feel great. that's the funny part about giving of your time and service, how good it makes YOU feel!

Carol

Cristie said...

What a great idea! Perfect neighbor gift. I'm your newest follower! Great blog.

Etcetorize said...

Great tutorial! I love that it uses up stuff that I have around the house (yard)~

Stacey said...

These are amazing. What a great gift idea for family and friends who have a fireplace. I especially appreciate that the fire starters are all natural. I love the background graphics that you used for the label.

http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

Suzy said...

I love new gift ideas! Thanks so much for the tutorial!
Please stop by and link up to my Commercial Break at Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom! http://suzysartsycraftsysitcom.blogspot.com/2010/10/commercial-break-thursday-promote_21.html

suzy

DeAnna said...

Absolutley adorable and frugal and practical!! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm following you now...love the sweater pumpkins too...you are very talented!

Kelley said...

What a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing =)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great idea! They would make a great little gift for those on a person's gift list that have a fireplace.
Enjoy your evening.

Frugally Natural said...

Love this idea! I can't wait to make some of these for our fireplace this year :) You're being featured on our Weekend Wrapup! www.frugally-natural.blogspot.com

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

What a great gift idea. Perfect with the cold weather coming up! Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Very cool idea! Awesome tutorial too :) Thank you so much for sharing the template, very sweet of you!
*hugs*deb

malia said...

What a wonderful and original idea and thanks for the printable! I'm your newest follower. Thanks for joining us at A Crafty Soiree last week and I hope you share again on Thursday.

Donna said...

What a wonderful and creative idea! I love your graphics and embellishment, too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda said...

Love this idea! Very creative and thank you so much for the template!

French Cupboard said...

I've made these and they really are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your template with us. Blessings... Polly

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

Oh Mary Ellen, these are sooo charming and thank you so much for the tutorial and the egg carton cover download!!! I also so enjoyed your before and after guest bedroom posts. What a blessing...all those lovely antiques gifted to you. I can think of no one who deserves them more.
Love and hugs,
Tracey
x0x

Swedie said...

I like the way you decorated the egg carton, so it doesn't look like a recycled egg carton. If you want lots of homemade gift ideas, check this out: www.make-homemade-gifts.com

Barbara Jean said...

Thanks for the tutorial! And the template.
So sweet of you.

blessings for a wonderful new year.

barbara jean

kris@thebigboat said...

Very nice presentation! Did you know that your little spouted pot is a Turkish Coffee Pot? WHat a fabulous use for it though!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

This is such a cool idea!!!

Aretusa said...

I loved Your idea very very much.
I made a post about it in my blog.
Here is the link : http://petitepoohmonamour.blogspot.com/2011/10/fire-starter-delizioso-accendi-fuoco.html
Hope you will like it and have many contacts more.
Hugs!
Aretusa
Petit Pooh Mon Amour

Some More Meandering you maybe interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...